How do I enabled leave requests as an administrator?
In Pacific Timesheet, you can enable Leave Requests so employees can request time off from the managers. Managers can approve or reject leave requests with detailed approval or rejection comments. Once approved, leave requests become a scheduled event which will automatically push the scheduled approved leave onto employee timesheets in the future.
Enabling Leave Requests
To enable leave requests:
- Pay Code Setup. Leave requests, by definition are tied to leave pay codes such as Vacation and Sick Time. To make a pay code "requestable," go to System>Pay Codes>Vacation. Check the Can Request check box to enable requests for that pay code. Remember that only leave pay codes have the Can Request option.
- Once you enable at least one pay code this way, a New Leave Request link will appear on the Home page for all users with access to leave pay codes.
Leave Request Rules
There are a few leave Schedule and Leave Check Rules that will validate leave requests and leave time entries.
To configure rules that affect leave requests you can enable certain rules.
Navigate to System>Policies>Policy Name>Edit>Schedule Rules:
- You can enable the Add approved Leave & Exception requests to timesheet rule to add approved leave to employee timesheets automatically when the timesheet is created in the future.
- You can enable the Don't allow submitting of Leave & Exception requests with conflicting or overlapping dates rule to make sure employee do not request leave on top of already requested and/or approved leave.
- You can also enable the Don't allow submitting of Leave & Exception requests if balance falls below minimum rule to enforce balance minimums when employee's request leave.
Navigate to System>Policies>Policy Name>Edit>Time Entry Rules>Leave Checks:
- You can enable Leave Checks which enforce minimum and/or maximum hours for any leave requests by pay code.
- You can also enable the Can't be taken until employed for x days rule. This will affect leave requests because employees will not be able to take leave for the first 90 days of employment.
Balance Minimum Rule
Navigate to System>Policies>Policy Name>Edit>Balance and Accrual Rules>Leave Pay Code Tab:
- You can set a minimum balance for each leave pay code balance by checking Minimum Balance and setting a minimum balance value. These values are typically 0, but you can allow employees to go negative to -20 or -40 on their leave balance.
- Once set, the minimum balance rule will be trigger an error when an employee leave would take their leave balance below the set minimum. The employee will receive a validation error message that instructs them to edit their request and re-submit it.
- The Minimum Balance Rule will validate leave request balances in the future by including future approved leave requests and accruals in a forecast. If the balance forecast is below the minimum balance required on the leave request start date, the request will trigger a validate error. This rule eliminates employees from making requests for future leave where they will not have a sufficient balance to take that leave.
Once you enable leave requests, you can enable leave approvals in a couple steps:
Enable Leave Approvals
To enable leave approvals, Navigate to System>Approvals>Edit and enable approvals for Leave by clicking the checkbox for the appropriate approval level.
You can assign leave approvals either in the employee profile or in a group or department by assigning security permissions.
Assigning Employee Leave Approvers
- Manually, you can assign an employee's leave approver by navigating to the employee's profile, click edit, and setting an approver at each approval level at the bottom of their profile. As the approval workflow for leave approvals is the same as for employee timesheets, if you have already setup timesheet approvers, you are done with this step.
- You can automate the assignment of employee timesheet and leave request approvals by using the employee import tool manually or setting up the auto-import tool to do so automatically.
Assigning Group Leave Approvers
You can assign leave approvers to Groups with a security permission that allows to approve the leave requests for all employees in a group.