How do I setup percent time allocation timesheet templates?
Percent allocation timesheets are generally used in for project-oriented time tracking. For project-oriented workers, they are easier to use and require less time to complete.
Setup your Project Timesheet template using the following steps.
- Create a project timesheet template. Use this article for help: "How to setup a project timesheet"
- You can also create a percent time allocation version of an existing project timesheet template.
- Navigate to system>templates>click on the template you want to clone
- Click on clone
- Rename the cloned timesheet template, e.g. "Percent Allocation Timesheet."
- Click Okay to save the template.
- Stay on the main page (not in edit mode)
- Scroll down to Advanced Settings and click the Show/Hide button.
- Click Edit for Advanced Settings
- Change Time Entry Mode from Standard to Allocation Time Entry
- There are two modes of allocation time entry: percent and hours.
- Set "Allocate time by" to "percent."
- The Hours setting will make the timesheet a total hours timesheet where users will enter one total hours entry per project/activity/task per week.
- Book all time to: set to Monday - Friday, Monday or Friday.
- Monday - Friday will normalize the underlying hours data for smoother reporting.
- Click Okay and then Done.
Scheduled Hours Note:
Percent time allocation requires that you set your users' scheduled hours per week to be allocated to projects. There are two options:
Edit Each User Profile Manually
- Navigate to the Employees tab
- Edit each user profile.
- Scroll down to Scheduled Hours per week.
- Enter a weekly scheduled hours value (e.g. 40, 45, 50, etc.)
- Save the profile
Use the Export/Import Employees Tool
- Navigate to the Employees tab
- Click on the Tools button (V).
- Click Export Employees to export the employees.csv file.
- Modify the employees.csv file to set the Scheduled Hours column to a new value. The system uses a default scheduled hours per week value of 40.00 hours if this is not set with another value.
- Save the file locally.
- Click on the Tools button again.
- Click on Import Employees.
- Find the newly saved employees.csv file.
- Import the file.
- Now all your employees scheduled hours per week will be updated to the new values
Rounding Rules Note:
Percent time allocation timesheets will operate smoothly only if you disable rounding rules.
- Navigate to System>Policies
- Edit each policy assigned to percent time allocation timesheet users. You should consider creating a separate policy for these users, particularly if you want to retain rounding rules other non-percent time allocation timesheet users.
- Edit Time Entry Rules
- Scroll down to Rounding and click the Show/Hide button
- Uncheck the check box next to "Round time entries to:"
- Click Okay to save.
- Click Done.
Now employees assigned this template will have a percent allocation timesheet. The underlying hours entries in the database will no longer round to the nearest 15 minutes and whatever percent time values entered in the percent time allocation timesheet will be converted to hours in the system.