How can I limit users' access to crews and crew timesheets?
There are use cases where you will want to restrict foreman and superintendent users to view, edit and/or approve a limited set of crew timesheets.
- In larger companies, you can have hundreds of crews in one division. While Pacific Timesheet provides a crew search box, lengthy lists create unneeded clutter and can lead to accessing and using the wrong crew timesheets.
- You also might want to "wall off" access so Division 1 users cannot access Division 2 crews.
Security permissions and the crew parent parent feature will allow you to restrict crews to address these and more use cases.
Setting Up Crew (Group) Permissions
Crews and JobCrews are types of Group sin Pacific Timesheet. To set permissions for Crews (Groups) requires security permissions (e.g. foreman, timekeeper, superintendent) and security permission assignments.
Setting Up Security Permissions.
You can edit these and/or Superintendent security permissions so that they can only view and edit Crews they are assigned to. To do this you will need to modify these security permission profiles and assign users to Crews. Follow these steps:
Modifying Foreman & Superintendent Security Permissions
- Navigate to System>Security>Security Permissions and edit the name of the user security permission you want to modify as follows.
- Set Groups to Can View Limited (not Can View All)
- Now all users with this Security Permission will only be able to view and edit the Crew Timesheets of the Crews (Groups) to which they are assigned the permission to view and edit.
Assigning Foreman & Superintendents to Crews.
Note that each Crew (Group) profile has Security Permission settings where you can assign users to that Crew (Group) with a specific security permission. Follow these steps:
- Navigate to a Crew.
- Click on the Permissions show/hide button.
- Cick Edit.
- Click Add Employee and select the user you want to assign.
- Select the security permission for the assignment – e.g. Foreman or Superintendent.
- Click Okay to save.
- Now this user will be able to view and edit that Crew.
Remember after setting up a permission assignment on any system Crew, you can use that object's Permissions dashboard for troubleshooting. For example, to troubleshoot Crew (Group) security permission assignments:
- Navigate to Employees>Groups>Tools (the downward blue triangle on the upper left)>Permissions
- On this dashboard you can see all permission assignments and change settings by clicking on links to various Crews (Groups).