How do I setup supervisor approvals?
In Pacific Timesheet, the simplest setup for approvals is to have one supervisor or manager approval.
You can setup, supervisor approvals in a few steps:
- Navigate to System >> General >> Approval Levels
- You will see a configuration screen that looks like this:
- Simplify this setup by disabling levels 1, 3 and 4. Or,
- If you want to plan for adding higher approval levels in the future, modify the display name for Level 1 to Supervisor or Manager. Then disable levels 2, 3, and 4.
- Later on, you can add higher approval levels, e.g. where Level 2 becomes Department Head, Level Three becomes Regional VP, and Level Four becomes Payroll.
The "Applies To" Setting
The data types a display name "Applies To" sets what an approval level can approve. For supervisors or managers who manage individual employees, you can enable time, leave requests and expenses (if you are licensed for expense tracking).
How The "Applies To" Setting Works
Once enabled, the "Applies To" setting will automatically enable approvals for time, leave, expense, etc. When an approver logs into the system, he will see an Approvals tab for Timesheet approvals, and an Expenses tab for Expense Sheet approvals.
Security Settings for Supervisor Approvals
The next step to enable supervisor approvals is to ensure that the Supervisor/Manager security permission assigned to supervisors. Your trial system template probably has a supervisor security permission assigned to test users that already has enabled supervisor approvals. To check this setting:
Navigate to System >> Security >> Security Permissions >> Supervisor.
Edit the Supervisor security permission profile.
Scroll down to Timesheet permissions
Make sure that Can Approve Limited is set.
Assigning Supervisor Approvers to Employees
Finally, you want to assign Supervisor approvers to the employees they approve. You can finish a supervisor approval workflow with one more step:
Navigate to Employees
Edit an employee profile.
Scroll down near the bottom of the page to Supervisor Approver
Note that the Supervisor Approver field is a picklist of users with the right to approve this employee's timesheet.
You can double check this setting:
Navigate to System>Security>Security Permissions>Supervisor.
- Edit the Supervisor security permission.
Scroll down to the Timesheets section, and the security permission Can Approve Limited or Can Approve All should be enabled.