How can I create crews of crews?
Certain organizations need to view, and even possibly approve crews that are grouped into master or mega crews. We often have clients that use larger groups that comprise every crew within a superintendent group, general foreman group, division, region or another type of organizational group. The requirements for these larger groups are for:
- To simplify high-level approvals
- Project accounting and/or payroll staff review and editing of data
- To provide superintendents the ability to quickly view data for groupings of crews.
How to Setup Groups of Crews
A key part of setting up groups of crews is how you name crews and larger groups of crews. Typically we see a couple naming conventions for crews and groups:
Simple Naming Systems which name a crew after its foreman. Problems with this approach include when the foreman leaves the company or moves around the organization, the crew name might be subject to change, or you are using a name for a crew of a foreman who left the company five years ago. Another issue with simple naming systems is they do not include any hierarchical information and cannot be used easily to roll up data into higher level groups.
Functional Numbering Systems which assign permanent IDs to Groups and Crews. The simplest numbering system is where crews are a sub-class of a larger group. For example, if the larger group is a division, then we would have:
Group Name = 10 (where 10 = division 10)
Crew Names = 10A, 10B, 10C, etc.
Group Name = 11 (where 11 = division 11)
Crew Names = 11A, 11B, 11C, etc.
Permission Groups, Reporting Groups and Crews
In configuring groups for a crew timesheet system, crews and groups are setup as follows:
Crews should be setup with Crew enabled
Permission Groups should be setup with Permission Group enabled
Reporting Groups shoudld be seutp with Reporting Group enabled
Essentially a Division or other high-level group needs to be enabled with all three properties for the following reasons:
- Setup a high-level group as a Crew so you can select it from the Crew Timesheet tab to roll up the data of employee crews contained with the higher-level group
- Setup a high-level group as a reporting group so you can report on this data at this by referencing this high-level group
- You can also use this high-level group to list timesheets on the Timesheets tab.
- Setup a high-level group as a Permission Group to use it as a container for all employee resources that you might want to restrict or extend to certain groups.
To implement groups of crews:
- Pick a naming/numbering system and create higher-level groups and crews associated with them.
- Assign the employees working within the higher-level group (e.g. division or superintendent group). by assigning employees this way you are creating an employee resource pool.
- Assign permissions to this group, using it as a Permission Group, granting certain foreman and higher-level division staff the ability to find, access and add any employee resources in the higher-level group to a crew timesheet.
- Import these groups into the system with employee assignments keying off of defined groups know to a third-party system such as region, division, superintendent group, etc.
Uses of Setup
Foreman might add and remove employee resources to their crews day to day so that the membership of crews is highly variable. On the other hand, higher-level group membership should be stable and used as follows:
Review Crew Groups
- Navigate to Crew Timesheet and select a high-level group such as group 10
- This view will allow you to view data for any day for crews with employees adding up to 100
- Project accounting and payroll staff can use this interface as a dashboard for editing and fixing data across one large groups, rather than having to drill and out of many individual crews.
Extend Pools of Employee Resources
When you assign foremen to a high-lever group with permission Can View Employees Limited, they will be allowed to search and find these employees, add them and edit time entries for these employees on their crew timesheets.
Timesheet Tab Search
On the timesheet tab, with this setup, you will be able to search for employee timesheets by group. This allows payroll staff to review employee timesheets to select a higher-level group and view lists of employee timesheet bounded within a larger grouping.