How can I auto-fill exempt employee work hours?
Often certain exempt or salaried employees are required to track leave hours on timesheets. However, if their projects and/or tasks are not tracked, they are not required to enter work hours on their timesheets. In this case, setting up these employees to have Leave Only timesheets is the solution. However, some payrolls want to receive both work and leave for exempt employees. In this case, exempt employees need to prepare and submit a timesheet with leave hours and the remaining work hours such that the weekly timesheet total hours always equal their weekly scheduled hours, e.g. 40.00 hours per week. On a week where there is no leave, the calculation is simply entering 40.00 hours of work on the timesheet. However, for weeks with work and leave hours, exempt employees have to calculate the net remaining work hours (i.e. 40.00 - leave hours = net work hours). Doing this match can be a pain point for some exempt employees.
The Autofill Rule will automatically add work hours to a timesheet when it is submitted to make it match the employee's scheduled hours. This rule will automatically calculate the difference between employee scheduled hours and timesheet leave hours, produce a net value, and then place it on the timesheet. The result is the timesheet will have leave hours plus work hours equaling employee scheduled hours (e.g. 40.00 hours). For this to work the employee's scheduled hours per week property must be set in their profile. The adjustment work entry will be added to the last day of the timesheet period.
To setup the Autofill Rule:
- Navigate to System > Policies
- Select the Exempt policy you want to configure
- Click on Edit
- Click on Time Entry Rules
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Miscellaneous
- Click on the Show/Hide button
- Enable "Autofill - On timesheet submit automatically add work hours to match scheduled hours."
- Make sure that your exempt employees scheduled per week field values are set to 40.00 or whatever the scheduled hours per week should be.
- Make sure that this policy is assigned the exempt employees affected.
When testing, note that the Autofill Rule runs when the user submits the timesheet.