How do I import work items (clients, projects, phases, tasks)?
Pacific Timesheet has import tools so you can easily import hundreds or thousands of work items. We define work items as Clients, Project Groups, Projects, Phases, or Tasks. Remember that the terminology for these work items can be customized to suit your needs. Once work item data is in the system, the import/export tools can also be used together to modify work item data on a large scale.
Work Item Import Template
To import work item data, you will first need to get the work item import template. For this example, we will use the work item "Project."
- Navigate to the Tasks tab
- The system's work breakdown structure (WBS) has up to five levels.
- The bottom level that you have enabled will be the name of the work item tab, so in beginning systems the tab is likely to named "Tasks."
- Next Navigate to the work item level you want to work with. In this case, navigate to the Projects sub-tab.
- Click on Tools (the downward pointing triangle next to add and delete).
- Click on Export Projects
- If you have Excel on your computer, the projects.csv file will open up in Excel in a comma separated value format.
- Note that this file contains one row of data properties for each project.
- Save this file in a newly created local directory folder called "Pacific Timesheet Setup."
- You now have a saved projects import template that you can use in the future to import large numbers of projects in one import operation.
- You can copy and paste projects data from other electronic files.
- Name and status are the only required project fields. However, you can set other project fields.
- For a detailed description of project fields, when on the main projects page, click on the Help button in the upper right of your screen to open the help topic describing all the project profile fields you can use.
- You can also add an unlimited number of custom fields with up to 12 data types to your projects.
Using Import/Export Tools to Setup Projects
- Navigate to the Projects sub tab.
- Go to Tools to import the projects.csv file to create new or update existing projects.
- The first time you use the import tool, go to Projects > Tools > Exports Projects to see the standard projects.csv file import template.
- You can import as many projects as you need.