System>General>Bill Rate Options
Bill rates can be defined against any system object, e.g. employee, cost center or WBS items. You can also define exception bill rates for when a time entry meets certain conditions. This sets up, more or less, a primary-secondary bill rate structure, where a primary bill rate is a default rate, and a secondary bill rate is an override bill rate. For example, a common setup in systems used for client billing is to set the primary rate on the employee. Once enabled, a primary bill rate will appear on all employee profiles in the system's base currency. In this example, we can set up a secondary override bill rate on projects. Once enabled, an additional area will appear in all employee profiles called "Bill Rate Exceptions." To setup this example:
- Navigate to System>Bill Rate Options>Edit
- For Rates Depend On: select Employees
- For Make Exceptions For: select Projects
- For Billable Flag On: select Projects or Tasks to allow additional setups to make Projects or Tasks billable or non-billable.
- For Rates Apply Only For: select Work Hours if you only plan to bill for work hours.
Many other use cases can be supported by Bill Rate Options:
- Where employee work in Cost Center A is paid at a higher pay rate than Cost Center B, use: Rates Depend On: Employees / Make Exceptions For: Cost Center
- Where employee work only depends on the Project, use: Rates Depend On: Project / Make Exceptions For: (Blank)
- Where employee work only depends only on the Employee, use: Rates Depend On: Employee / Make Exceptions For: (Blank)