How do I set employee opening leave balances?
When launching a new Pacific Timesheet system, setting an "opening balance," or beginning leave balance for employees is an important step.
Manual Employee Balance Changes
You can do this by setting the balance manually in an individual employee profile:
- Navigate to Employees>Employee Profile>Balances
- Click on the balance name, e.g. Vacation.
- In the balance update screen, select Set from the operation picklist to set a balance equal to a value.
- Set the date for when you want this change to be effective.
- Enter a comment or note that will be stored as a reason for the change.
- In the case of setting an opening balance, enter "Opening balance"
- When all the field values are ready, to enter the change, click Update.
- Note that the employee balance will be updated with the change in the balance history.
- Note also that you can use this tool to change a balance to a new "set" amount. When you do this, the system will enter a positive or negative value automatically to reach the new set amount.
Using Imports to Make Employee Balances Changes
The easiest way to set opening balances for hundreds or thousands of employees is using the Employee Balances Import tool. To do this:
- Use the employee balances export file as a template for the employee balances import file.
- To create an employee balances export file, Navigate to Employees>Tools
- Click on Employee Balances Export to create the employee balances export .csv file.
- Note that this file will have a row for each employee balance, e.g. John Smith, Vacation; John Smith, Sick; John Smith, Personal Time.
- Now use this file to setup an import file.
- Enter an opening balance value in the Value column, set a Date (for the effective date), and enter a Comment such as "Opening balance" in the the comment column.
- You can also add or deduct hours to an employee balance using an import file by adding a positive or negative hours value to the Change column.
- Import the employee balances file to update employee balances automatically.